Back pain is a very unpleasant phenomenon that can indicate the presence of serious diseases. The lower back has a greater load than other parts of the spine, so it is more prone to injuries.
Spasm in the lumbar region can be a sign of sciatica, osteochondrosis, scoliosis and many other pathologies.
Back pain: possible causes
This can happen after sports training, without staying in one position for a long time, after an awkward movement.
- childbirth / recent childbirth;
- sports training;
- sedentary work (drivers, cashiers, etc. );
- work involving significant physical strength;
- work in a constant state.
After excessive tension, anxiety disappears by itself - just rest is enough. Its periodic appearance indicates the presence of pathology. Without quality therapy, the condition can worsen significantly: sometimes only surgical intervention is indicated.
Diseases accompanied by discomfort in the lumbar region
In medicine, this symptom is classified as primary and secondary.
In the first case, the discomfort is directly caused by back diseases, especially the spine:
- osteochondrosis of this region (a third of all pains);
- spondylosis / spondylolisthesis / spondyloarthrosis;
- protrusion of the intervertebral disc or intervertebral hernia.
They say about secondary pain caused by damage to other organs:
- fracture due to osteoporosis;
- tumor in the spinal canal;
- spine fracture;
- muscle tension;
- anatomical narrowness of the spinal canal;
- kyphosis / scoliosis / kyphoscoliosis / Scheuermann-Mau disease;
- arthritis (rheumatic, psoriatic, osteoarthritis);
- discitis, osteomyelitis, spinal tuberculosis;
- disorders of the urinary system: urolithiasis / pyelonephritis;
- gynecological diseases: ovarian cancer or cyst, endometriosis;
- complicated pregnancy.
Types of pain
Severe lower back pain
These are observed in osteochondrosis. Discomfort is experienced when moving, sitting, lifting heavy objects and even coughing/sneezing. Unpleasant sensations may be given to the lower limbs. The patient should immediately consult a neurologist.
Severe anxiety is accompanied by sciatica. The pain is dull or sharp, aching, usually unilateral.
It can give to the hips, thighs and even the lower leg; aggravated by changing position, coughing, walking. Treatment of radiculitis is carried out by a neurologist. Patients are advised to rest on a firm mattress that will support their back.
Acute back pain
It can be caused by prolonged sitting in an uncomfortable position, carrying/lifting heavy objects, falls, bumps, sudden movements, as well as drafts and hypothermia.
An acute attack is accompanied by displacement of the intervertebral discs. The latter occurs with a fracture of the spine, osteochondrosis, heavy physical work, weight lifting.
Displacement may also occur in this area after surgery. In this case, the diagnosis is made by a neurologist. It also prescribes treatment.
Painful pain in the lumbar region
This happens with myositis - inflammation of the back muscles. The disease appears after acute overexertion or hypothermia. Accompanied by stiffness of movements. The pain is aggravated by movement.
Chronic (permanent) back pain
Periodic attacks are accompanied by deforming spondylosis. And the affected area may become numb. In addition, sometimes there is weakness in the legs.
It should also be noted that chronic pain is characteristic of Bechterew's disease and oncological pathologies. They can also indicate a metabolic disorder.
Sometimes it seems to a person that the lower back hurts, but in fact the cause is the defeat of a completely different part of the body. This happens with diseases of the pelvic organs, pancreas, kidneys, large intestine.
Back pain: when to see a doctor?
Do not hesitate to contact a specialist in the following cases:
- the attack lasts for 3 days or more;
- anxiety after injury;
- at the same time, lower back, lower leg and foot pain;
- pain syndrome is combined with numbness of a limb.
What to do with severe spasms in the lumbar region
If the causes are unknown, the temperature should be measured. An increase in this indicator indicates infection and inflammation. Other symptoms are also identified (disruption of stool, vomiting, pain only on one side). Then you need to call a doctor or an ambulance.
If the cause is known, such as a muscle strain or bruise, anti-inflammatory medication should be taken first to reduce discomfort.
Eliminate swelling, increase fluid circulation to remove harmful substances from the body, a dose of diuretic helps.
An orthopedic belt or even an ordinary towel will help to fix the muscles and bones in a stable position.
What not to do with lower back discomfort
It is forbidden to do warming procedures without diagnosis.
They provoke blood flow, which is not always safe. Do not use painkillers with long-term discomfort of an unknown nature. In this case, the disease will still progress, but without concern.
It is possible to determine the vertebrae in any area of the back by a manual therapist only after examination, diagnosis and determining the cause of the pathology. Vertebrae are not always displaced due to trauma, it can also occur as a result of dystrophic processes. Reduction can compress the nerve and destroy the processes of the vertebra.
How to treat back pain at home: folk recipes
Alcohol tincture of burdock or eucalyptus will help relieve anxiety. It can also be used for compresses. For a similar purpose, fresh horseradish leaves are applied to the affected area. Changed daily as needed.
- Ointment with horse chestnut. The melted oil is mixed with dried horse chestnut herb and camphor oil. Components are taken in equal proportions. The agent is applied to thin pieces of black bread and applied to the affected areas;
- You can treat with horse chestnut tincture. Cotton is moistened in cloth or gauze, which is applied to the lower back;
- Tincture of golden mustache on "Bishofite" effectively relieves discomfort in joints and bones. It is necessary to add 35-40 plant particles to ½ l of the latter. The mixture is stored for 14 days. Over time, it is filtered and applied as a compress at night.
Nutrition for back problems
To strengthen the bone system, it is necessary to enrich the diet with healthy foods and reduce the amount of harmful ones in it.
Liver and fatty fish (for example, salmon, sardines, mackerel) are very useful. These foods are rich in vitamin D, fatty acids and niacin.
Dairy products, meat, grains, fresh fruits, especially garlic and lemon - all these should dominate the diet.
Cabbage and spinach have a lot of potassium, and vitamin C is found in citrus fruits.
Vitamin A can be obtained from eggs, dark green leafy vegetables, red, orange and yellow fruits.
You should consume less caffeinated drinks, as well as sweets, spicy, fatty and fried foods.
Exercises for the spine
With minor discomforts, as well as in the back area, it is recommended to do a number of exercises to prevent this:
- Lie on your back, put your hands along the body, slightly bend your legs at the knees. The legs bend to the right, and the body bends in the opposite direction. In this state, they freeze for 5 seconds, then return to their original state. Turn in the same way in the other direction. You must complete 10 approaches;
- Kneel down and place your hands on the chair in front of you. Then bend and bend your back as much as possible. Perform up to 10 approaches;
- Lie on your back with your arms/legs straight. First, the right leg is raised about 15 cm from the ground and raised until a feeling of fatigue appears. Repeat the same with the left leg. You should complete 5 sets with each leg.
Prevention of back pain
To reduce the risk of problems, you should follow a few simple rules:
- Spend less time sitting;
- A little warm-up for the spine and limbs every hour during sedentary work;
- Lift / carry weights correctly - keep your back straight, do not lift sharply, divide the load into parts;
- Do exercises to strengthen the muscle corset (back support);
- The mattress should be moderately firm to properly support the lumbar region;
- Pay attention to your posture, do not slouch;
- Climb the wall more often, touch it with your heels, hips, shoulder blades. In this case, you need to stand for 3 minutes;
- To strengthen the muscles holding the spine, it is recommended to do sports: walking, skiing, wushu / qigong gymnastics, swimming, yoga;
You should not do running, boxing, tennis, martial arts, skiing, horse riding.